Thursday 3 May 2007

New Multimap - with added wifi!

Nikki told me that Multimap had a new site up. I have not looked at Multimap for ages. I love online maps and always was grateful for Multimap's service, but after the arrival of GoogleMaps and its constant adding of new features I just began to find Multimap outmoded and outclassed and stopped using it.

It's new interface is a lot closer to the usability that we have come to expect with online maps and it seems to replicate most of GoogleMaps features. With unfortunate exception of the mouse-wheel-zoom - a feature I think is such an intuitive addition to GoogleMaps.

However, Multimaps UPS (or 'Unique Point of Sale') for me is the addition of the useful information tickbox tab. When one of the 'Useful' items is near by it will display the number of said items next to the tickbox. When you click them the locations appear on the map you are viewing. My Favourite so far is the inclusion of the 'Wifi Hotspot' item that uses TotalHotspots.com info to show the hotspots in the area you are looking at.

This is the sort of usability that will bring me back to using Multimap. It's good to see them back on form.

*Updated* - the snapshot is of Wifi hotspots in Witney, UK.


*Updated 1.2* - Sorry, I meant Wifi hotspotsDidcot, UK.

1 comment:

Nikki Mayfield said...

Glad to be of service honey!