Saturday 21 April 2007

Firefox Unusable

Unfortunately, I recently had to stop using Firefox. Not sure why but the browser just kept on hanging for a few seconds and then continuing. It kept doing this everytime a new page was loaded and just got unbearable. It does not seem to be the case with Flock with is based on the same Mozilla Core as Firefox so I have taken to using that as my main browser.

It's just so frustrating when you have an issue like that and don't have the time to debug. All the URLs I found whilst searching for online support were talking about doing things I had already done such as turning off all the extensions, running in safe-mode and even a post on how to write a batch script to kill the Firefox process task manager when it hangs. I mean, the mind boggles. Why keep on using the browser if it keeps hanging?

Thank goodness for Flock.

Anyway... maybe it's something to do with Vista. Yes, I have my new laptop. Surprisingly very little has troubled me about it so far. I haven't yet written about it as I have been busy working on it. More about Vista later.

4 comments:

Nikki Mayfield said...

Oh, it's the end of an era!

Light home users like me don't find it an issue, or at least ... not yet!

Unknown said...

Well, maybe not. I'll get around to debugging it sooner or later. I've got too used to using it that I'll miss it soon enough...

*** said...

Hi,

Did you ever get around to debugging this? I ask because I found your blog by Googling "Firefox unusable on Vista" which pretty much sums up my situation... I'm having the exact problem you describe, and have taken the same countermeasures, also without success.

Would love to hear about it if you found a fix!

Unknown said...

Hi ***,

No, haven't debugged this - but did download Firefox 3.0 beta R2. But haven't installed it yet....

IE7 isn't bad as a browser. But I'm using Flock 1.0 which is based on th Mozilla. It's pretty good.

Hope that helps :¬)

~R